Monday, April 16, 2012

Homemade HD Antenna

While searching for an alternative to satellite/cable television, I began researching indoor HD antenna brands, stats, and prices.  My first effort to gain some knowledge on the subject was to post a thread on my forum of choice, XDTalk, and I received some great info from a fellow XDTalker.  A big shout out to 1lowlife for his input on the subject.  I used this website to determine the distance from my location to local broadcasting towers and found the towers to be within 20-30 miles of my location.  Further research revealed that I should have no problem receiving HD signals with a homemade HD antenna with my close proximity to these broadcasting towers.....So.....I decided to build my own HD antenna using plans found on a link that 1lowlife provided.

The parts I had to buy to build the antenna:

1 - 6 pack of metal clothes hangers (shiny chrome ones were all they had)....$3.97 (Walmart)
1 - pack of 1" screws....$0.97 (Walmart)
1 - pack of #10 washers....$0.97 (Walmart)
1 - transformer....$6.59 (RadioShack)

I already had the scrap piece of 2"x4".  TOTAL COST $12.50 plus tax!!!!


Of course there are enough screws and washers left to make a few more antennas, so technically the cost per antenna is a little less than that.  I am currently using the antenna indoors and the picture quality is AMAZING, but I plan on mounting the antenna on the roof using the existing satellite infrastructure.  I anticipate having to amp the signal to provide a strong signal on the co-ax network throughout the house.  Below is a picture of my HD antenna temporarily mounted inside next to the TV.  I should also mention that the antenna worked just as well sitting horizontal as it does vertical in its current location.


No comments:

Post a Comment